Patriotic Picture of the day

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lest We Forget

Today is December 7th, 2011. Seventy years ago today it was a beautiful Sunday morning on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. People were going about their normal business when, the Japanese attacked the military base at, Pearl Harbor.

We all know the story, we've heard it a hundred times from our parents, grandparents, and others who teach us. Yet, it has almost become yet another day. Another day we live, we work, we eat, we sleep. People seem hardly fazed by the fact that today was the day that America entered into the bloodiest war ever fought on planet earth! We seem to forget the words of President Roosevelt "December 7th 1941 a day that will live in infamy." Is it a day that will live in infamy? After all the survivors of World War II die, will anyone remember?

It scares me to think that the "modern day Pearl Harbor" that my generation remembers as young children could be turned into the next December 7th- just another day. I know I will never forger September 11th 2001 young as I was. Yet, will my children and the rest of the next generation understand it? Will they understand that fear we all felt that day? Will they understands the comfort it was to hear our President say they were going to find those men who did this to our country?

Are those the same questions my grandparents, and the generation that was alive and remembers December 7th 1941, asked themselves?

There is almost a certain bound that my generation shares with that of "The Greatest Generation" They we young when the attack on Pearl Harbor happened, so were we. Because of that, and because, I understand somewhat how they felt I will never forget what happened on December 7th 1941. I will tell the next generation. Let us resolve to tell the next generation- even this one the truth. Lest we forget. Lest they forget. I will never forget December 7th 1941- "A day that will live in infamy"

1 comment: